Thursday, May 5, 2011

Alone

It's been some time back in February since the last time I wrote anything.  One would think that with everything that I've gone through and am going through, and with everything on my mind that I would be able to write everyday...if not twice a day.  It's really hard to put into words what I'm dealing with.  And maybe someday I'll open up enough to share.  But, for now...

Earlier today I posted a status update that went something like this:  You're better off being alone than being lonely in a relationship.  I must admit that I didn't make that up.  Actually, Stephanie Abrams (The Weather Channel) posted that a few days ago.  It was one of those things that will stick in your mind like a good song or a line from a show or movie.  And it has.

It's been said over and over again that man (and woman) is not meant to be alone.  I sometimes wonder about that.  And yes, the song "Alone" is playing over and over again in my brain right now.  It's only one of the best songs ever.  But, I digress.

I'm not an expert on relationships.  But I did find a lot of truth in that statement.  Being lonely in a relationship is like being surrounded by people but not being able to see any of those people.  A lot of people focus on the physical...and I've been guilty of that.  It does, however, take much more than that.  I was reminded of something that a Youth Pastor once told me many years ago.  MANY years ago.  Two people can go to dinner.  They'll have a great meal, great conversation...they'll enjoy each others company.  They will both get a lot out of being together for that time.  Make a strong connection.  But here comes the true test.  Take those same two people, and instead of going out to dinner, they stay home and watch a movie or two...or maybe plug in a pair of headphones and listen to some tunes.  Either way, they don't say a word to each other.  They're either watching the movie or listening to music...and that's it.  Do they still get as much from that as they did from having dinner with each other?  Do they find that same connection?  If the answer is yes, then you have no chance of finding yourself in a lonely relationship.  However, if the answer is no or if there is any doubt, then you're better off being alone ordering pizza on a Friday night than being a relationship where you'll wish you were at home ordering pizza by yourself.

You're better off being alone than being lonely in a relationship.  That's probably the truest statement I've heard in years.

No comments:

Post a Comment