Sunday, September 12, 2010

It's About a Coin...

It's Sunday and I'm watching football.  It doesn't get much better than that...right?  I guess maybe that's a discussion for another time.  But I do like my football.

Mom flew back in from Kansas a few days ago and I got to see her at church this morning.  Always good to see Mom...especially after she was out of the state for 3 weeks. 

Wait...just saw a promo for the Glee season premiere.  Oh snap.  Never mind...that's a discussion and blog all to itself.  So, where was I?  Oh yeah...I remember now.

Mom told me that Grandma had given her a silver dollar coin to give to me when she got back.  Well, she gave it to me this morning.  It's from 1921 and is actually worth around $20!  That, in itself, is pretty neat.  So I gave Grandma a call after leaving church while I was heading back to Lafayette to thank her and to check up on her and to wish her a Happy Grandparent's Day.  When I thanked her for the coin, I thought it was just simply a coin that had some age and some extra monetary value to it.  But after I thanked her, it had even more value to it.  See, Grandma told me that Grandpa had bought that coin for himself many many years ago.  My Grandpa passed away 17 years ago on the 4th...and I still miss him as much now as I did the day he passed away.  So, to some, that coin may be just another coin that is old and has some extra monetary value.  To me, it's another memory of my Grandpa...someone that I loved dearly back then and still love dearly today.

Final thoughts...  If your grandparents are still with you today, call them.  It's Grandparent's Day.  They'll appreciate the call.  If they're not with you, then cherish the memories you have of them...and never let go of them.  There is just something about grandparents that make life just a little bit better each day.  Know what I mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment