Sunday, August 22, 2010

Gumbo and Dating...One is Good and the Other Isn't!!!

So, Mom is out of the state for a few weeks.  What does Dad do while she's away?  What any man would do when their wife is away for an extended period of time.  Wait.  Let me rephrase that.  He did what any man from South Louisiana would do when their wife is away for an extended period of time.  He made a gumbo.  But he made the gumbo yesterday.  He cooked it, then let it cool, then put it in the fridge overnight.  When got home from church (we go to the same church...very cool...what up OSC Opelousas), he reheated it.  And anyone who has had gumbo knows that it is sooooo much better when it's reheated.  It doesn't matter that it was pushing 100 degrees today.  All that mattered was that we I was hanging with family and we were eating 2nd day gumbo.  That, my friends, is a good thing.

Dating.  Now this thing is going to go south...and in a hurry.  I hate this topic.  I hate even thinking about it.  I guess I'm so over the whole ritual known as dating.  I'm 37...never been married (duh!) and no kids.  I guess I've reached that point where I just don't want to go through the ritual anymore.  I don't want to be in a position where I could have my heart broken again or end up breaking another woman's heart.  Do you blame me for thinking that and feeling this way?  I have resigned myself to the idea of possibly being single for the rest of my life.  I don't care what anyone says, dating isn't easy...and it never will be.  Who ever said that it was easy should be locked up in a small padded room.  I'm just saying.  Please don't misunderstand me.  I'm not bitter or angry or anything like that.  I'm truly not.  I'm like several people out there who are frustrated and just don't feel the need to put their emotions and hearts on the line anymore.

Here's one other thing that ranks up there with my feelings on dating.  Brett Farve.  Why?  Seriously...why?

Final thoughts...  I'm sure everyone knows by now about what's going on with my Grandma and that my Mom is in Kansas for a couple of more weeks to spend time with her as she starts a very challenging phase in her life (my Grandma, that is).  Even though I can't make it up to Kansas any time soon, I did get to spend some time with Dad today.  Regardless if there would have been gumbo or not, time with the family is always a good thing.  I've turned down 3 transfers with my company for two reasons:  1) I didn't want to give up the production work I'm doing, and 2) The important reason...my parents.  I didn't want to be far away from them.  What ever you have to do to get some good family time in, just block out the rest of the world and do it.  You'll be glad you did...and you'll be a better person for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment