Tuesday, August 17, 2010

My First Blog

I've decided to jump on the blog bandwagon for reasons that are still unknown to me.  I've become somewhat of a private person as of late...so writing a blog just seems to be the exact opposite thing that someone like me would do.  I have no idea as to where this is going to go and what I'll cover.  But, with that being said, here I go anyway.


The number one topic of discussion right now is that school is back in session.  I'm not a parent.  So I can't live the excitement or sadness of a child going back to school.  I see parents (mainly mothers) crying because their oldest is start their senior year in high school or their youngest is starting kindergarten.  Weird thing is that I'm 37 and I remember both.  I was living in Kansas when I started kindergarten.  The school I went to had so many students that the class was divided into a morning class and an afternoon class.  So, basically, we went for a half-day...and I was one of the lucky kids that were in the morning class.  Nice.  It's a shame that didn't last longer than kindergarten.  Oh, well.  Then, before I knew it, senior year started in August, 1990.  I remember it well.  But, at the same time, it was a blur...and still is.  My parents cried when I graduated from high school because they knew the next phase of my life would be bumpy...and I wasn't able to land any scholarships.  Just joking.  College life started...and 6-1/2 years along with 2 degrees and a minor later, we all had a good cry because I was able to make it through one of the roughest times of my life and walked away with a huge accomplishment that we were all proud of.  So although I may not know what parents are going through right now with their kids going back to school and growing up before their eyes, I do remember what my parents were thinking and feeling.  And I envy that.

The other (fun) topic of the day...FOOTBALL!!!  Ah, yes.  The NFL preseason has started, which means football is right around the corner.  Or, unless you're like me, you've been watching the Canadian Football League for the past month or so and have been watching the Arena League for the entire season...and maybe even catching an Aussie Rules Football match from time to time as well.  And, of course, there is the OTHER football...soccer.  Okay, so I like football.  But, for me, football is more than a sport.  I work at Fox 15 and KLAF, and I'm the Business Manager there.  Along with that, however, I also direct and produce our live broadcasts.  On 3-Sep, we start our 26th year of broadcasting high school football games...a "game of the week" if you please.  This will be my 9th year on the crew, and my 3rd year directing and producing.  There's nothing like producing live television.  I can't really describe the rush.  It's fun, and it's brutal at the same time.  It's the fastest 12 weeks of the year.  And at the end of those 12 weeks, you're burned out and tired...but you wouldn't give it up for anything.

Final thoughts for the day...  My Grandmother lives in Kansas (that's where Mom and I are from) and she has a tumor next to one of her kidneys and she has also been diagnosed with Lymphoma.  As I'm typing this, Mom is at the airport getting ready to fly up there for a few weeks.  I really wish I was able to go too.  I haven't been "home" in several years...and I miss it very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment